A MATTER OF CHOICE

The furnishing of the new Houses fortunately is to be regulated on the sane principle of allowing the occupants to decide whether or not they wish to use the furniture provided for them. At present, the University not only gives the beds, desks, and other essentials, but also insists that these fixtures remain in the rooms. The result of this is that every one has adequate living equipment, but if a man's personal tastes should differ from those of the College, he is needlessly compelled to keep those pieces provided with the suite.

With the House Plan permitting occupants to choose either the college furniture of their own, the present unfortunate situation is avoided. In addition to this liberty the college furniture might well be varied and so managed that the students can choose the type they prefer. The realization of such a plan would allow each man to incorporate his own furniture with the preferable pieces provided by the College. Under this plan the House Plan atmosphere could be made more attractive due to the fact that it would be more personal and individual. This affords another means of averting the danger of standardization which could easily prove disastrous to a project so closely incorporated as the House Plan.