ALL BUT JOHNNY

Although the tutorial system should not be made the basis of the House Plan--the House Plan is larger and wider in its implications than this system which is merely part of a coordinated education--yet it must be expanded and broadened as the facilities for its administration increase. Chemistry is now the only major department that remains without a general examination and there is no valid reason for its failure to fall into line.

Chemistry has become a broad field. On the one side physics and mathematics, on the other biology and physiology are embraced in the many ramifications of the science. It is important above all in a field where laboratory work occupies so great a proportion of attention, not to neglect the theoretic investigation of the allied sciences, lest concentrators in the Division become mere followers of cook book directions over a Bunsen burner.

It is now possible for a student in chemistry to graduate with a knowledge altogether too small of the interpretation of the past by history and literature and of the present by science as a whole. The correlation of the manifold branches of chemical science, the broad study of the explanation and improvement of the earth and its inhabitants on the basis of physics and chemistry is ample justification for the establishment of a tutorial system in the Department.