Krutch Adds His Voice to the Opponents of Censorship and Rushes to Defense-of O'Neill, the Ibsen of America Today

Joseph Wood Krutch associate editor of "The Nation" and an editor of "The Literary Guild", while in Boston Monday expressed himself as being opposed to censorship in all-forms.

"If you want my personal opinion as to what forms of censorship are desirable," he said, "my reply is--None! As a matter of fact a censor is usually not shocked at the same thing for long."

Mr. Krutch, the author of "Edgar Allan Poe" and "The Modern Temper", spoke Sunday night at the Ford Hall Forum in Boston, where his subject was "The Drama from Ibsen to O'Neill."

"Is the plot of Eugene O'Neill's 'Strange Interlude' far-fetched?" he was asked.

"The plot of the O'Neill play is no more far-fetched than that of 'Hamlet'," he replied. "And as for the suggestion that it deals with a theme which could better be handled by an abnormal psychologist,--well, the characters of most of us would furnish interesting material for anyone."

"I am not sure that O'Neill has a message for any particular class of people," he said in response to another query. "O'Neill has a message for humanity as a whole.

"It has been suggested that young people do not understand all of the 'Strange Interlude'. Well, what they don't understand won't hurt them."