MACMILLAN SPEAKS HERE IN DECEMBER

Voyage on the "Bowdoin" in 1927 Opened New Fields--Early Records Discovered

Captain Donald B. MacMillan will give an illustrated lecture to members of the Harvard Union Tuesday evening, December 3, on the topic, "Under the Northern Lights."

Captain MacMillan sailed for the Arctic in June 1927, from Wiscasset, Maine, on the schooner "Bowdoin", with the purpose of establishing a scientific research station on the north coast of Labrador. During the fall and winter of 1927 to 1928, contact with home was constantly maintained by radio, and the programs he received were also appreciated by the Eskimos as well as his whole party. This winter Captain MacMillan is telling, by story, motion pictures, and slides, the experiences of the expedition and some of the results obtained, as well as the accumulative results of previous expeditions.

An alumnus of Bowdoin College, he did post graduate work at Harvard, and started to teach. In 1908, however, he joined Commander Peary's Arctic expedition, and since then has devoted most of his time, with the exception of a few years, to explorative expeditions, including the MacMillan Expedition to Baffin Land, the National Geographic Society and Field Museum Expedition to the Arctic, and the Rawson-MacMillan Field Museum Expedition to South Greenland.

Captain MacMillan has accomplished much in the Arctic: he found the caplining of Elisha Kent Kane, left at his "Farthest point north", in 1853; and he discovered the record of the British expedition of 1875 written by Captain Nares and left at Cape Sabine. He is the first to have reached Finlay Land, and the Northern, Eastern, and Southern sides of North Cornwall, as well as the first to have traveled along the Eastern shore of Ellesmere land from Cape Sabine to Clarence Head.