"That Baboon Baby Dance" Traded for Modern Jazz Record as Concerted Attack on Evolutionary Theory Gets Under Way

The old favorites are passing. Harvard students are exchanging their long cherished, or long endured, recordings of tunes of by-gone days for recent hits, through an offer now being made by the Victor company. An investigation of records being turned in at Harvard Square music stores reveals that "When You and I Were Young Maggie" and "Silver Threads Among the Gold" lead the list of exchanges, appearing in greater numbers than any other single recordings.

Approximately 25 years of record history are covered by the disks which students have turned in at one shop. Here a close inspection of hundreds of records reveals that the oldest disk is numbered 8565; the latest Victor release is numbered 22149. One old record bears the title. "That Baboon Baby Dance." The assumption is that it was released about the time that the evolutionary theory was becoming well known. Another disk reveals the fact that at one time in the past the Turkey Trot was all the rage, if one is to trust the number of them recorded by old time orchestras.

Arthur Pryor's Band, now strictly a march recording organization, is well represented in the exchanges by dance selections. But the prize of all is a release of 1910, entitled "The Charmer." This record, a best seller in its day, was a xylophone solo, and the belles of the season all dropped their cherished copies of "Oh Mr. Dream Man--Please Let Me Dream Some More" and rushed in to buy the new hit!