TREASURE ROOM IN WIDENER LIBRARY IS TO BE ENLARGED

Present Quarters Will Still be Used for Displays--New Arrangement to Aid Studies of Old Books

The most important change to have been made in Widener Library since its completion in 1915 will be the transformation of the old lower reading room into an addition to the Treasure Room. For some weeks work has been carried on in remodeling the former history and tutorial library into a room of smaller dimensions.

The north end of the lower room has been devoted entirely to stacks on which some of the valuable books are to be stored This section will be separated from the remainder of the study room by locked doors. Glass casings have been built over the shelves surrounding the open space, and several tables and chairs will be placed about the room. These are to be used by men making studies for which facts can be found only in the volumes of the Treasure Room.

At the south end of the old History 1 reading room, four new offices have been built, leaving but a small space for the addition to the Treasure Room.

The major portion of the books in the present Treasure Room as well as a considerable number for which there was no room on the crowded shelves will be kept in the cases of life new room.

The upper room will be used for exhibitions as formerly, but a considerably smaller floor space will be taken up by the desks and tables than is new given over to them. The few remaining tables will be only for the use of those readers who are looking over the displays, or consulting them for small references. About half of the cases will be taken out, and much more space is to be used for exhibitions. In the old room there will still be kept shelves for books which certain undergraduate courses require. The cases about the wall of the upper Treasure Room will continue to hold many of the library's choicest possessions.