WHITESIDE VIEWS CREW SITUATION ON ARRIVAL HERE

Whiteside and Haines to Handle Both University and Freshman Shells--Brown Has Class Crews

Charles J. Whiteside, formerly Freshman crew coach at Syracuse University, arrived in Cambridge yesterday to take up his duties on the Harvard coaching staff. Although it was generally conceded that Whiteside would be head coach by the time the spring regattas come around, W. J. Bingham '16, Harvard director of athletics today named Whiteside, and H. H. Haines, Crimson Freshman coach, as co-workers in charge of both the Harvard varsity and first year crew-men.

Rowing Staff Announced

At the same time, it was announced that the rowing staff for the coming season will consist of the following: E. J. Brown '96, who, after a three year term in charge of the University eight, will return to the class crews he has coached for twenty years; F. J. Sullivan '28, coaching the 150-pounders; C. J. Hubbard '24, who divided his time between coaching Harvard's rush line in the fall and the Freshman lightweight crews in the spring; and E. A. Wachter, who will take over the dormitory rowers after he concludes the season as basketball coach.

Whiteside made an excellent impression on those whom he met in the Harvard Athletic Association offices yesterday morning. He claimed that as far as he was concerned there would be no radical changes in the way crew was coached at Harvard and further stated that as a pupil of Jim Ten Eyck's at Syracuse, he did not pin his faith on any one stroke. "The fundamentals are the same everywhere," he said, "and the minor details of style will be altered to fit the men and the occasion."

Has Three Year Contract

Although it is regarded as a certainty that he will be given full charge of the University shell later in the season, Whiteside said he would devote a considerable part of his time to the Freshman eights, since it is on them that he will have to rely for his material in later years. His contract with Harvard binds him for three years to a position on the Crimson staff.