A RED-LETTER DAY

It is always an event when a college president enters a university lecture hall to speak to his audience on subjects of extra-collegiate significance. Time was, a century or more ago, when college presidents were active members of the teaching faculty, giving courses and advising students on a field of study like any professor. Of late, the growing complexity of university organization and administrative details has kept the college heads away from the speaker's platform, except for those occasions met in performance of duty.

At 2 o'clock today President Lowell will speak in Harvard Hall on "Facts and Dogmas of Democracy." Known for years as an authority on government, President Lowell's rare treatments of questions of national or international importance are always listened to with respect by people who appreciate the value of opinion expressed by one not in the heat of world events. His lecture this afternoon should attract those members of the University who believe that their own destinies are not the only ones to which a college president may have an eye.