Lampoon Trustees Theaten to Resign Unless Editors Will Apologize for Gibes in Last Issue--Officers Make Statement

By A. G. Churchill

Though slugged in the back of the head in its recent attack on educational principles at Harvard by the misrepresentations of the American Press, Lampy still wishes to exonerate himself. Fear of a spanking by the Harvard Alumni Bulletin has sobered up the otherwise happily smiling jester.

Lampy does not usually strike the pose of a crusader. But Lampy did feel, God forgive him, at the time the Protest of the Masses Number was in contemplation that all was not right in the little world about him. For months on end he had heard the faint, polite voice of the Harvard CRIMSON weakly trying to reason things out. But the CRIMSON left so many vital things unsaid.

Lampy then decided to express his opinions on the subject. But Lampy is not a rational creature; unfortunately he has clowned too long to strike the dignified pose of a Superior Court Judge. He could only laugh at Things as They are. To straighten out the creases in his face and put on a sober look was as impossible as for him to write a CRIMSON editorial or a piece in the Alumni Bulletin.

When these jestings of his are represented to the outside world as the reflections of a serious thinker, it is no wonder that the impression has been startling.

Among the Harvard undergraduates the Lampoon has accomplished its purpose. In two days it has precipitated more frank and reasonable comment than months of vacillating CRIMSON editorials and whisperings in the parlor have done. Unfortunately to the rest of the country Lampy's attack has been branded as a personal ridicule of Mr. Harkness. The strained, vague and ill-humored gesture of the Harvard Alumni Bulletin helps to deepen this misunderstanding. If the present number be read with a tolerant attitude and in the spirit in which the editors have intended it should be read, there is little cause for accusing the Lampoon of either bad manners or insincerity.

All adverse criticism which has come to hand so far has been too evidently based upon a superficial interpretation or a second hand acquaintance with the substance of the present Lampoon. In so far as this comment has ignored the serious issues below the surface, it is preposterous.