Student Opinion Not Wanted

THE PRESS

With the now famous Harkness project approaching realization at Harvard, history of a far-reaching significance is being made. The men in whose hands rests the unenviable responsibility of breaking the ground for this undertaking would give a good deal to be able to occupy our places as university undergraduates for a few days; for there are many of the thoughts of youth, psychological shifts of one sort or another, which come to these older men through the haze, be it ever so faint, of memory. And, though to age belongs wisdom, in youth there is a degree of sound instinct, together with the normal allotment of human nature.

It is essential then that undergraduates be given a hearing upon the question of the house-plan at Harvard. If we succeed in making ourselves articulate, there may be a little we can tell our pedagogues. Upon Harvard has devolved the privilege and responsibility of blazing a trail; and every university in America awaits reports with eagerness. For there are many intensely serious problems that present themselves. How, for instance, will the men be selected to occupy the various small social units? The purpose of the plan being avowedly a social improvement over the present conditions, will this end be better attained by segregating men with one dominating interest, or shall a cross section of college life be sought? If instituted at Yale, would the undergraduate rebel against attempts to separate him from his friends? For the theory of the small college entails complete absorption in the life of the one college chosen. What would be the status of the fraternity under such a plan? What the role of intercollegiate athletics when faced with the adoption of the intramural idea? --The Yale News.