Mystery Shrouds Discovery of Gymnasium Blue Prints Left With Victim of Assault--Plans Stolen From Contractor

The unknown assailant who struck Dr. George Kovacs, chiropodist, of 125, Tremont Street over the head and dashed from his office at 5 o'clock last Friday, left behind him an overcoat which contained the plans for the new Harvard Gymnasium, it was learned last night at Police Headquarters. He had stolen the plans, which were in the form of blue-prints, from a contractor on the Wellesley-Boston train last Wednesday morning, and was in the Doctor's office having his foot treated when the assault was committed. A warrant has been sworn out for the criminal, but the police have as yet no definite clues as to his identity or whereabouts.

The police docket states that "at 6.10 P. M. Patrolman O'Riley, Division 2, reports that at 5 P.M. Dr. George Kovacs, 55, and married of 1799 Dorchester Avenue while in his office and working on the foot of a patient at 125 Tremont Street, the patient jumped up and struck the doctor on the head with an iron bolt done up in cloth. He then rushed out leaving his overcoat. He is described as a man about 30, 5 feet 6, weight 150, with light brown hair. Dr. Kovacs was taken to the Haymarket Relief Hospital in our Ambulance and treated for 2 lacerated wounds of the scalp. The man wanted left the office with a bandage on his left ankle and his name is thought to be John King."

The officer in charge detailed the case to Special Officer Robert Dwyer of the Milk Street Station, who now has the custody of the gymnasium building blue-prints, which he is examining for finger-prints. Officer Dwyer traced the blue prints from the office of Coolidge, Shepley, Abbott, and Bullfinch to a Wellesley contractor who was making estimates for the water-proofing of the proposed building. The contractor admitted losing the plans, which he believed to have mislaid on the train, as they had been rolled up on the seat beside him during the trip. A warrant has been sworn out for John King, alias John Doe, but no trace of the culprit had been found up to late last night.

W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, said last night that he had heard nothing of the theft. Mr. Bingham has in his possession, however, a duplicate set of the plans.