COLLECTIONS -- and -- CRITIQUES

Showing of Modern French Paintings and Drawings Large

There are at present three displays in the Widener Treasure Room. They are extremely diversified, one being of Elizabethan literature, one of modern typography, and one of Spanish books.

The first group may be classified as Shakespeariana and comprises part of a gift of 260 volumes from the library of W. A. White '63, made by members of his family and other friends of Harvard. Among the interesting books in this group are a copy of Sir Phillip Sidney's "Defense of Poesic" published in 1595 and a copy of Spenser's "Prothalamion" printed in 1596.

The modern books displayed are from the gift of Philip Hofer '21 and are being show because of their relationship to the exhibit of paintings, sculpture, and prints of the Harvard Society for Contemporary Art. The majority of the volumes are French publications, such as an edition of Pouchking's "Boris Godounov" printed by J. Schiffrin and Company in Paris. American typography is ably represented, however, by the edition of Voltaire's "Candide" illustrated in color by Rockwell Kent and published by Random House in 1928.