INFIELD COMBINATION SELECTED BY MITCHELL

OUTFIELDERS HAVE SESSION ON SOLDIERS FIELD

With the opening game of the season only two and one half weeks away, the University baseball team is rapidly rounding into shape under the guidance of Coach F. G. Mitchell. The squad has been practicing daily in the cage for the past month and has now been cut down to a workable size.

At the present time it seems that four men are in the lead for pitching berths. Howard Whitmore '29, only "H" mound-man on the squad, R. R. Ketchum '29, E. L. Molloy '29 and W. K. Page '31 seem to have the edge. The complete staff will number six hurlers, however, so that a battle for the other positions is in sight. The catching job, held down last season by the hard-hitting W. W. Lord '28, has as its leading contenders this year T. W. Gilligan '31 and J. D. Dudley '31. These two men have been doing most of the work back of the plate so far.

In the infield John Prior '29 and G. E. Donaghy '29, will in all probability play first and third base respectively, the position they occupied on last year's nine. At shortstop E. H. McGrath '31, captain of last season's Freshman team seems to have the call. The choice of a second baseman is Coach Mitchell's main problem. F. E. Nugent '30 has a slight edge over A. G. Whitney '29 in the race for this post.

The outfielders went out onto the field yesterday afternoon for a brief session catching flies. The turf, however, is not yet in condition for regular outdoor workouts.