Brains

THE PRESS

The University authorities have acted wisely in refusing the invitation of Harvard Yale likes to take defeat with good grace, but we cannot refrain from observing that such a competition proves little of importance. Harvard may claim that she admits better material than Yale: she may even argue that her English department offers more thorough preparation for such at test. Yale would not dispute the point, because it is not worth a tinker's damn. It provides a source of raillery for Harvard undergraduates to use against their Yale friends: it probably also makes certain Harvard professors quite satisfied with their ability. But the "brain contest" does not alter the fact that each is a great University, proceeding along somwhat different lines. Each aims to produce men who will lead world thought not those who can score highest in a three-hour examination offering scant room for original effort.

To insinuate that the title-holders have boasted of their victory is far from our purpose. Harvard feels that the contest provides an interesting comparison of educational methods and results. Yale does not feel that any definite results can be determined. The omission of the contest from this year's program of news items for the profit of the press should turn out to be a wise move. --Yale News.