WENNER IS NAMED LEADER OF QUINTET

Captain O'Connell is Sole Loss Through Graduation -- Prospects for 1929-30 Campaign Good

Howard Theodore Wenner '30, of Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, will captain the University basketball team during its 1929-30 season as a result of an election held yesterday by the letter men of this year's team.

Wenner prepared at Catasauqua High School where he was a member of the basketball team. He captained his Freshman team at Harvard and in his first year on the University team he substituted for J. W. Baldwin '28 at forward and earned his letter by playing in the Yale game. This season he was regular left forward on the quintet and took part in every game played, being high scorer in several of these.

Last year the team lost practically all its letter men by graduation, forcing Coach Wachter to build up an entirely new five this winter. This season Captain D. J. O'Connell '29 is the only one to go. Coach Wachter will have two Junior and four Sophomore letter men to work with when the 1929-30 season opens. The other Junior returning besides Wenner is S. C. Burns '30, center, who distinguished himself in the Yale game by scoring 14 points and keeping the Crimson within striking distance of the Blue at all times. The Sophomores who will return are E. T. Farrell '31, P. W. Mahady '31, J. S. Rex '31, and G. T. Upton '31. With six letter men and several members of this year's Freshman quintet fighting for positions on next year's five it seems that Coach Wachter will be able to produce a team which will better this season's mediocre record.