STANDISH DEFEATS SMITH AT BIG TREE

Hartwell and Timken in Tie for Point Total Honors--Relay Race Gives Edge to Standish

The first Freshman Inter-Dormitory swimming match ever held in the history of Harvard sport was staged yesterday at the Big Tree Pool as the second division of the University meets and was attended with great success. After a series of extremely close events, Standish and Smith Halls ended with 23 points apiece; first place was awarded to the former, however, on the strength of its victory in the relay race. There will now be a brief cessation of activities to allow yesterday's first-year men and Monday's fraternity swimmers to rest up for the open University division, which is to be held a week from today.

The 100-yard relay race yesterday, which was eventually to prove the deciding event, opened slowly, but speeded up with each successive man. Standish and Smith raced almost even for six lengths, but the former's spurt at the end captured the contest by a couple of feet.

J. S. Hartwell '32 gave a beautiful exhibition of diving, easily excelling the rest of the field in the four required and two optional punges. W. F. Nelson '32 edged out P. H. Cohen '32 for second place.

The closest race of the day was the 50-yard back stroke. Fred Lewis '32, after trailing for the first two lengths, put on a fierce spurt which carried him not over a foot ahead of J. E. Shikes '32 at the finish. The time was 35 seconds flat.

Hartwell, who had already captured the diving, found no competition in the 200-yard free style, and walked away from his opponents in the fast time of 2 minutes 45 seconds. Second place saw a real struggle, with A. L. Mason '32 barely defeating H. L. Lash '32. The second free style contest, the 50-yard race, was, on the other hand, extremely tight; W. R. Timken '32 nosed out J. E. Ashworth '32 and L. M. Patterson '32, not a yard separating these three. Timken won his second first place of the afternoon in the 100-yard free style race.

Hartwell and Timken tied for first individual honors, each capturing victories in two events for a total of ten points. Lewis followed them with eight points; and after him came E. A. Locke '32, who scored five points by winning the 100-yard breast stroke.

In the team totals Standish and Smith each scored 23 points, while McKinlock gathered 18 and Gore 13.

The summaries:

100-yard relay: Won by Standish (Q. W. Burke, A. L. Castle, W. O. Faxon, W. R. Timken); second, Gore (H. L. Lash, B. Moore, L. M. Patterson, R. K. Vincent); third, Smith (F. Lewis, A. L. Mason, S. E. Shikes, R. J. Strauss); fourth, McKinlock (R. A. Biggs, T. J. Ewing, J. W. Brummel, J. S. Hartwell), Time: 54.4 sec.

Diving "6": Won by J. S. Hartwell with 40.3 points; second, W. F. Nelson with 35.1 points; third, P. H. Cohen with 33.5 points; fourth, R. K. Vincent 27.4 points.

50-yard back stroke: Won by F.

If the letters were the fabrication of these two young women, Sarah Morrison, the sister of Margaret, must have realized that they were spurious, because she could not help knowing the non-existence of Sally Calhoun and Matilda Cameron. Sarah Morrison, therefore, would hardly have allowed her husband, Frederick Hirth, the Union soldier, when the two friends, as alleged, gave him the documents, to accept them as genuine. Neither would she, after her husband's death, have thought them worth treasuring until her own death, nor would she have had any interest in passing them on her niece, the mother of Miss Minor, as genuine documents. Therefore, unless the earlier existence of the documents can be clearly proved, the only two people whom we need consider as their source are Miss Minor's mother and Miss Minor herself.

Mr. Sedgwick, if he has not yet discovered the individual author of the documents, must be convinced that their authorship rests between the mother and the daughter, and must be sheltering both from the family disgrace that would follow upon the revelation of the truth. But, regardless of the loss to his own reputation for discernment, has Mr. Sedgwick the right to maintain this attitude of chivalrous protection in a historic matter of such profound national interest