A NEW ROMANCE LANGUAGE

Talking motion pictures which threaten to revolutionize so decidedly the stage and screen, will also be the instrument of making English the international language, according to the recent statement of a British film magnate. English as the practical successor to Esperanto may appear a visionary prospect until one considers the influence of the talkies in the far and near sections of the world. The younger set in the Fiji Islands, for example, are certain to become vitally interested in English upon beholding the magic of the silver screen and listening to the soft charm of the Hollywood talkies' silver tongue. The world flooded with English language talkies certainly presents a beautiful prospect for the Anglomaniac.

But the educational influence of this latest form of entertainment is not confined to foreign parts. If the movies have made the American nation conscious of clothes and polite manners, it is also claimed that the talkies will bring the country's speech to a high standard. Perhaps it is not too much to expect that the talkies will give the American people a solidarity of accent. In the hands of a few producers lies the fate of the nation's tongue.

The great opportunity of the talking moving picture remains, however, the spread of the Anglo-Saxon culture and civilization in the hither most parts of the globe. Wherever the talkies go, a new interest in English on the part of the country's youth is a likely result. For the school boys in the far corners of the globe who learn English for the first time from the lips of Greta Garbo and John Gilbert, the language will have a rare attraction sure to make it popular.