HARVARD FENCERS FAIL TO GAIN SINGLE PLACE

MODELL LOSES EXCITING BOUTS AFTER VALIANT STRUGGLES

New York, N. Y., March 29--While Yale, Army, and Navy ran away with the honors, Harvard was hopelessly outclassed in the final matches of the Intercollegiate Fencing Tournament, completed here late tonight.

The famous Iron Man trophy, annually awarded to the winning foils team, was captured by the Navy, in spite of the vigorous efforts of the Yale team to repeat their last year's victory in this division. The Midshipmen will also receive a new trophy, the gift of which was made public today, consisting of crossed blades and a mask on a pedstal. In the individual contests, Captain F. S. Righeimer of Yale, though closely pressed by D. I. Modell '30 of Harvard, distinguished himself as victor in both foils and epee. The individual sabre title was won by Frederick Giddings of the Army.

In the preliminary matches held yesterday, Yale won the sabre team cup and tied for the epee championship with the Army. In a close fence-off, the Cadets were successful in defeating their Eli opponents to retain the title which they won last year.

The tournament was marked by the appearance for the first time of a Western Conference team, Ohio State. Other entrants, besides those mentioned above, included Columbia, whose sabre team placed second, Navy, N. Y. U., Dartmouth, Princeton, and Cornell.