CHANGES IN BOYLSTON LABORATORY STARTED

WIDENER LIBRARY BINDERY WILL MOVE TO BASEMENT

Work on the renovation of Boylston Hall is now definitely under way, it was announced yesterday by A. L. Endicott '94, comptroller of the University.

The structure which was built in 1857 and has been occupied exclusively by the Department of Chemistry since that time, will be made over and used to provide room for other departments of the University which are expanding beyond their present accommodations.

In the glass-covered annex to the basement, will be installed the University bindery, which is being removed from Widener Library, where it has been declared a serious fire hazard. The remainder of the basement will be used for storage purposes.

The east side of the first floor will be made into a Freshman library and reading room, eventually to supplant the building on Holyoke Street now used for this purpose, which is to be demolished in the near future to make room for one of the proposed units of the House Plan. The west room on this floor will be occupied by the Library of the Chinese Department.

The second floor will be used almost entirely for classrooms, three of which will be made out of the large lecture room on the west, where Professor J. P. Cook formerly lectured in Chemistry A.