Vox Popull

THE MAIL

(Ed, Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

It is not every day that a double column editorial appears in the CRIMSON, When one does appear, it denotes the discussion of an important subjects such as the Reading Period, the House Plan, and, apparently, the appointment of a publicity manager of Harvard sports.

Mr. Bingham undoubtedly has accomplished a great deal for Harvard athletics. His appointment of Mr. Ryan as publicity manager is not the least important of his decisions. Yet to draw an analogy between the policy of the H. A. A. and that of President Lowell seems to exaggerate the importance of the former. To add that "Mr. Lowell cannot hope to keep Harvard out of the papers any more than the assistant football manager can hope to suppress the Harvard football news", appears the Harvard football news", appears to be, to say the least, a lack of taste. And to define good will "literally" in terms of cash is more than a slight confusion of values.

Is this the same newspaper which, several years ago launched a vigorous campaign on "over-emphasis of athletics" in American institutions of learning? Perhaps the editors of that day are no longer affiliated with the CRIMSON. Very truly yours,   Alfred H. Hirsch, '29.

Editor's Note: The CRIMSON has never rent its support to the flag-raising and hullabaloo of football, or sport in general. But that the concise pertinent facts should be denied to the public through faltering officials engaged in Harvard publicity, or more judiciously, Harvard information, is quite another matter.

In the appointment of a full-time, full-pay director of publicity, the Harvard Athletic Association is merely assuring itself of accurate, and timely news service, a condition which is distinctly better than the stumbling disorganization of Harvard athletic information that has previously existed. To draw an analogy between athletic publicity and University publicity in General seems justified, since the elements of accuracy and timeliness are fully as important to the one as of the other.