FIVE PROFESSORS ARE ELECTED TO HARVARD CHAIRS

History and Chemistry represented by Two Incumbents Each--Theological School Dean Succeeds Moore

Five chairs at Harvard, two in the Department of Chemistry, two in the field of History, and one in the Theological School have just been filled, it was announced yesterday at University Hall. The new incumbents of these chairs have all been professors at Harvard for a number of years.

Arthur Becket Lamb, since 1925 Sheldon Emery, Professor of Organic Chemistry, has been elected to the chair of Erving Professor of Chemistry. He has been Director of the Harvard Chemistry Laboratory since 1912 and has just assumed charge of the recently completed Mallinckrodt and Converse Laboratories. The Erving Professorship has been previously held by six professors, the last of whom was the late Theodore William Richards. James Bryant Conant '14, succeeds Professor Lamb as Sheldon Emery Professor of Organic Chemistry.

Roger Bigelow Merriman '96, Professor of History since 1918, becomes Gurney Professor of History, the chair held by Charles Homer Haskins until he became this year Henry Charles Lea Professor of Medieval History.

The Mclean Professorship of Ancient and Modern History has been granted to William Scott Ferguson, Professor of Ancient History at Harvard since 1912, who, in 1913-14, was a professor at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. Edward Channing '78 recently retired to the position of Mclean Professor, Emeritus, was the last holder of the chair.

William Learoyd Sperry, Dean of the Theological School, has been elected Plummer Professor of Christian Morals, succeeding Edward Caldwell Moore, now Plummer Professor, Emeritus. Dean Sperry has been Preacher to the University since 1921 and Professor of Homiletics since 1922.