READ 'EM AND WEEP

Whatever results the thoroughly advertised book guilds may have had by and large, they have not made Trinity College undergraduates read serious books in their spare time. But Dr. Cadman's daily counsel got under someone's skin and now every man in the Hartford school will read a good back. In fact, throughout the year each student is going to read a great number of good books selected from a list of recommended works. There is no connection between this requirement and any course. On the contrary, it is outside reading for pleasure--with two pages of typed notes due on each hundred pages of reading. In this manner the joy of thought-provoking reading is to be inculcated in the college man.

A few months of paternalistic culture and Trinity will be in a position today claim to the title, "best read college in America." The possibilities for dinner and pullman car conversations that these informed men will enjoy, are unlimited. No need for Trinity graduates to depend on. Vanity Fair talk as an avenue for popularity. And surely they will be able to sit down for fifteen minutes with a newspaper without fear of neglecting the classics they know so well. The only disadvantage in the idea is that it will be so easy to spot a Trinity man in any gathering. The mere mention of "The Decline of the West" and there will be no further doubt.