SWIMMING LAURELS AT STAKE TODAY IN MEET AT BIG TREE

Over 45 Aspirants Already Entered in Seven Events--First Race Scheduled for 3.30 O'clock

Stars from the fraternity and Freshman divisions of the annual University swimming meet, as well as upperclassmen who have not yet competed, will gather this afternoon at 3.30 o'clock at the Big Tree Pool in search of the Harvard championships for the year.

Already some forty-five aspirants have entered the seven events, and in addition there are four relay teams signed up. All members of the University may compete, with the lists remaining open until the first race.

Two Champions in Action

Two present champions will be on hand today to defend their laurels. In the 100-yard breast stroke R. L. Vonckx '31 is favored to repeat his victory of last year; the only man who has given evidence of furnishing him with opposition. Beecher Moore '32, finished third in the fraternity meet on March 26. E. A. Hill 3L, the other defending title-holder, will be up against a harder task if he is to retain the 100-yard back stroke honors. He is facing a field of at least eight men, including Fred Lewis '32, winner of the 50-yard back stroke in the Freshman meet a week ago, Warren Delano '32, who swam third to Lewis, and E. T. Batchelder '30, who was third in the fraternity affair.

The past performances of the entrants in the diving "8" would seem to assure plenty of fine plunging today. O. d. Johnson '31 and J. S. Hartwell '32, winners in the fraternity and Freshman divisions respectively, will be pitted against each other.

Of the four other events, the 100-yard relay and the 50, 100, and 200-yard free style races, the second and fourth have attracted the largest number of entrants who have figured in the previous meets.