1932 AT THE CROSSWAYS

The members of the Class of 1932 will face an important decision this morning when they gather in the New Lecture Hall to receive advice on their choice of a field of concentration. Today's activity is in the nature of an opening gun. For some thirty days Freshmen may ponder on their future range of interest. During that period suggestions galore will rain from all sides. But in the end each man must decide for himself.

Freshmen this morning will become acquainted with the mechanics concerning concentration. Beyond that, the significance of the meeting lies in the fact that the class is brought together with its interest focused on the subject of electing a department for major study. Turning all minds to this one topic is the service rendered in New Lecture Hall.

No one could hope that an hour's meeting might give any specific or personal advice on an affair of such breadth. Plenty of sources are ready for the Freshman seeking counsel: the pamphlet which has been given him, his Freshman Advisor, the heads of the various departments all supply advice and information. If this morning he learns what concentration means, the purpose of the meeting is accomplished. In the last analysis it remains up to each student to gather together the facts of the subject and weigh them for himself. More than fostering a realization of this the meeting is unlikely to do.