LAFAYETTE PLAYS NINE HERE TODAY

Has Shown Steady Improvement Since Return From South--Murberg to Hurl for Invading Team

With the confidence born of ten victories and but one defeat, the Lafayette baseball team will pitch camp on Soldiers Field this afternoon to cross bats with the University diamond forces. The contest, the eleventh of the season for Harvard, is scheduled to start at 4 o'clock.

Conducting its first extensive foreign invasion, the Maroon will journey to New England with ten consecutive victories behind it. Yesterday afternoon, however, the aggregation from Pennsylvania, though outhitting their opponents 13 to 7, suffered its initial setback of the year by a 7 to 6 score at the hands of the Tufts batters after ten innings of play.

Coach Coughlin of the Easton outfit will most probably call upon Murberg to battle the Crimson willow-wielders this afternoon, and judging from his record he should be able to turn in a good account of himself. Four victories are credited to him, and he is anxious to add the Mitchell machine to his growing list.

Opposing the Lafayette sluggers, W.H. MacHale '31 will assume the mound duties for the home team. He is not considered as strong a twirler as his teammate Howard Whitmore '29, but if the Crimson offense gets rolling as it has in several of this season's games, he should have at least an even chance of emerging victorious from the struggle.

MacHale has showed steady improvement since the team's return from its Southern trip, having turned back Amherst for eight innings and handily defeated New Hampshire in his two starts.