NET PROFIT

Although as was pointed out in yesterday's CRIMSON the recent decision of the corporation to add the second floor to the gymnasium will save a considerable amount of money and add to the minor sport facilities of the College, one of the most pressing problems still remains unsolved. The completion of the third story with its three basketball courts remains lying on the laps of the gods.

Interest in basketball has been rapidly increasing among both undergraduates and graduate students. During the past year the Hemenway floor was in virtually continuous use from 2 o'clock in the afternoon until nine-thirty, with an hour out for the corrective exercise class: The fact that the University team uses this court for its regular practice every evening and several afternoons a week materially reduces its availability for the members of the graduate league and what is even more important the class teams. During the past season this latter group were allowed but two practice sessions of an hour each every week. Men having other engagements at these times were of course barred from any participation in class basketball, and the interest of those who did take part was kept at a minimum by the meagre time allotted to them. Those in charge of this phase of the situation estimate that many men who began the season with enthusiasm soon withdrew when they found how little opportunity was allowed them for keeping in condition, let alone improving their game.

The situation in regard to the Freshman court is but little more encouraging. The regular Freshman quintet and the interfraternity league combine to keep this space in use from 2 until 10 o'clock every day of the season.

The plans for next year will have to involve a reduction in the time allotted to graduate students in Hemenway in order to give the class teams more opportunity for practice. This seems absolutely necessary in view of the growing undergraduate interest in the sport but it will work a very real hardship on a class of men who find little enough chance as it is for exercise and recreation.

The time for a complete giving over of Hemenway to graduate students seems already rather past ripeness. A ready opportunity for doing so would be immediately afforded by the construction of the top story of the new gymnasium, a plan which would more than double the present College basketball facilities. The present admirably vigorous administration of intramural basketball can hardly reach to one-half its potential usefulness unless granted the cooperation of those who hold the strings of a still unexplainedly bulging purse.