ROOSEVELT WILL ADDRESS PHI BETA KAPPA ON JUNE 17

Clash With Yale Crew Race Avoided by Advancing Day--Roosevelt is Also Marshal of Class of 1904

Franklin D. Roosevelt '04, Governor of New York State will deliver the annual oration and R. S. Hillyer '17 Assistant Professor of English, will be the poet on Phi Peta Kappa day, the anniversary meeting of the fraternity which will be held this year on Monday, June '17. For the first time, the meeting will be held at the beginning of the week because of previous conflicts with crew races with Yale which occurred on the same day.

Dinner in the Union

At 11 o'clock, dinner will be served to all members of the society at the Harvard Union. Professor Hillyer and Governor Roosevelt will speak and Dr. W. S. Thayer '85, of Baltimore, the president of the society will preside.

Professor Hillyer is the author of eight volumes of poetry and is a contributor to many periodicals. For two years, he was president of the New England Poetry Club. Governor Roosevelt, in addition to being Phi Bet Kappa orator, will serve as chief marshal of his class at its twenty-fifth reunion.

Old Tradition Broken

Holding the anniversary celebration on Monday will break again the ol tradition of holding the meeting on Friday after Commencement. From thounding of the chapter in 1781 through 1911, the gatherings were held on Friday. From 1912 through 1922 the official date was set for Monday. Since then, Friday has been observed again but the conflict on this day with so many activities as well as the fact than it was the anticlimax, coming the day after Commencement, caused the change.