GOING AHEAD

The current report of the director of intra-mural athletics, showing a total of 1725 for the past year, summarizes another well-managed and on the whole successful season. As in past years winter sports, largely because of the popularity of squash and basketball, have called out more men than either fall or spring athletics. Tennis has again proved itself most popular in the seasons of warm weather.

The figures particularly emphasize the lack of adequate indoor facilities essential to winter athletics. The completion of the new gymnasium will remedy this condition, and should prove a stimulus to increased participation in all winter activities. Parallel to the transference of undergraduate indoor sports to the new center the graduate schools will be able to expand from their present restricted hours to a fuller utilization of the old gymnasium.

Mr. Samborski's success in the recent development of intra-mural athletics under what have often been trying conditions is a tribute both to his ability and to the wisdom of Harvard's policy of athletics for all. Next year the new gymnasium will give intramural athletics much greater usefulness, and will help to place Mr. Bingham's program on a firm and sound basis.