UNION MANAGEMENT

Among the various parts of the University that will have to pass through a more or less perplexing period of readjustment in the next few years the Harvard Union stands out as one whose problems will be most trying. Consequently the new change in the organization of its management comes at a peculiarly opportune time.

The selection of D. W. McCord as Graduate Secretary speaks for itself. Occupying at various times many positions of trust in Harvard affairs, he has particularly distinguished himself in his able work as Executive Secretary of the Harvard Fund. Mr. McCord's wide experience and broad personal contacts should be especially valuable in the selection of prominent speakers, in the outside relations of the Union, and in the general oversight of its policy.

The parallel appointment of an undergraduate secretary marks an attempt to bring the Union more closely into touch with the desires and needs of its members. With the progress of the House Plan the eating arrangements of the Union will attract a smaller patronage, and it is hoped that there will be an increased emphasis on its social activities. In this direction undergraduate management should prove a useful innovation.

A significant feature of the change is the relative permanency of the new secretaryships. Mr. McCord will be able to plan and execute a consistent policy throughout the whole period of transition, and even the student secretary will probably serve long enough to obtain a thorough grasp of the Union's affairs. As the first step in the reorganization essential to cooperation with the House Plan the action of the Graduate Board is both progressive and farsighted.