CHASE ANNOUNCES PLANS TO RECEIVE SUMMER STUDENTS

Thirty-Seven Visiting Professors and Instructors Will Come--Seif and Lingelbach Among Them

The University authorities will initiate within the next few days preparations for opening the Freshman dormitories to receive the major part of the 2700 students attending the 1929 Harvard Summer School, it was announced yesterday afternoon by R. P. Chase '00, Director of the Summer School. The summer population this year is rather larger than has been the average for the past few years.

This year, as in previous summers, about half the students will be women. They will be quartered in Standish, Gore, and McKinlock halls, while the men will be accommodated in the Smith Halls quadrangle. Numerous other facilities will be thrown open to the Summer School group. The tennis courts of Soldiers Field and the Weld Boat Club are available, while many entertainments and excursions are planned for the benefit of the students, with Yard concerts, special evening lectures, and visits to important points of interest in and around Boston.

Language Classes Hour and a Half

A cursory glance at this year's curriculum shows that the scope of the summer courses has again increased over previous years, particularly in the field of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Although the courses in Education have been growing with the rest, the trend is far less pronounced in this than in the field of general academic studies, and particularly the humanities. The school begins on Monday, July 8, and closes on Friday, August 17. Except in language courses, which are an hour and a half long, instruction will be for a period of an hour a day, five days a week. The freedom from interruption thus effected enables what would during the regular year be half a year's work to be accomplished in six weeks.

Feuillerat Will be Visiting Lecturer

Thirty-seven professors and instructors, many of them of national reputation, come from other colleges and universities this year to teach in the Summer School. In addition, 80 members of the University teaching staff will serve throughout the summer. Among the outstanding scholars are Professor Hunley W. Herrington, of the University of Syracuse, who will lecture on the Elizabethan Drama and Poets of the Nineteenth Century, and Professor Albert Feuillerat, of the University of Rennes, who is this year Exchange Professor at Yale, who will lecture on the Romantic Poets, and also on Shakespeare's Development as a Dramatic Poet.

Modern European History will be the subject of two courses by Professor William E. Lingelbach, of the University of Pennsylvania, and in his course on the most recent period he will discuss such topics as the peace treaties, the League of Nations, Republican Germany, Soviet Russia, Nationalist Turkey, Italy and Fascism, War Debts and reparations. A notable opportunity to obtain the best European judgment on psychological problems of the mentally deficient and child guidance is offered through the courses to be given by Dr. Leonhard Seif, Director of the Seminar for Individual Psychology and Child Guidance Clinic in Munich, Germany.