HINDMARSH PICKED WITH CHAUNCEY AS DEAN OF FRESHMEN

Experienced in Teaching on West Coast and at Harvard -- Three Vacancies Filled in University 4

The appointment of A. E. Hindmarsh as one of the two assistant deans in charge of Freshmen for next year, announced yesterday at University Hall, completes 1929-30 staff of assistant deans. Hindmarsh is at present completing his third year in the graduate School of Arts and Sciences in the field of Government. He has already received his M. A. and is a candidate for a Ph.D. next year. He was graduated from the University of Washington in 1926.

Hindmarsh will share with Henry Chauncey '28 the task of supervising the Freshman Class next year. He has already had considerable experience with Freshmen as an assistant in Government I and as a Freshman supervisor.

University 4 Roster Complete

The appointment of Hindmarsh to an assistant deanship fills the last of the vacancies left by the resignations of W. I. Nichols '26, Mitchell Gratwick '22, and Lawrence Coolidge '27, all of whom have held positions in the dean's office during the past year. Only two of the present assistant deans will continue in office next year. L. C. Keyes '24 will again be in charge of Seniors and Juniors, while G. G. Benedict '23, who has been in charge of records for several years will take over Coolidge's duties as Sophomore dean. D. S. Byers '25 was appointed earlier in the spring to fill Benedict's position. Chauncey and Hindmarsh as Freshmen deans complete the University 4 roster for next year.

In addition to teaching Government courses in the University for the last few years Hindmarsh has also had experience in preparatory school teaching on the West coast. Hindmarsh will be the only member of the Dean's Office staff next year who did not receive his A.B. from Harvard.

Chauncey Prominent

The other Assistant Deans were all prominent in various undergraduate activities during the course of their careers at Harvard. Chauncey who will share the responsibilities of the Freshman Class with Hindmarsh next year was among the outstanding players on both the University football and baseball teams. As a football player he will long be remembered by Harvard men for his expert dropkicking and forward passing. He first came into the limelight in the fall of 1925 when he dropkicked Harvard to a surprise victory over Brown.

In his Senior year he was the leading hitter on the University nine and provided a powerful stimulus to the strong Crimson team with his excellent work behind the bat. Chauncey who was a Groton school graduate was also prominent in Freshman affairs being chairman of the Freshman Smoker Committee and also a member of the Freshman Executive Board. Though a member of the Class of 1928. Chauncey received his Harvard degree in 1927 and for the last two years has been at the Penn Charter school at Germantown, Pa.