A Tremendous Loss

THE PRESS

Rumors about the campus yesterday unquestionably pointed to the resignation of Coach Harold Ulen as swimming coach of Syracuse University. Altho no official statement was given by the Hill mentor, it is believed that he will assume his duties as head coach at Harvard University next fall. Ulen has been the recipient of numerous attractive offers during his stay here, but he had foregone all of them because of satisfactory treatment he had been accorded.

However, when he accepted his position at Syracuse it was with the understanding that swimming was to be made a major sport, and since no change has been made up to the present time, he feels at liberty to resign his post and take up his coaching elsewhere. When the Athletic Governing Board ignored raising the standard of swimming as a Hill sport at Tuesday's meeting, Ulen apparently felt that he was under no obligation whatsoever. As a result, Syracuse is losing a man who has been invaluable as a producer of swimmers and swimming teams, and the entire University sincerely regrets his decision. Syracuse Daily Orange.