SIX OF ONE . . .

The difficulties of the small boy have been increasing every year. The growth of towns has decreased his play space but on the other hand the thickening craffic has given many ingenious little fellows a new game, that of spotting the makes of automobiles at great distances. Of late years however the imitative impulse on the part of the nation's body designers has reduced the sport to the most minute sort of scholasticism, and painstaking detail work is necessary in order to tell the newer makes apart at a thousand yards.

Largely responsible for the increasing difficulty of differentiating automobiles has been the Fisher body corporation, which is now engaged in making all General Motors cars look like Cadillacs. Fortunately the powers that be have decreed that the appearance of two new makes comes at a time of the year when the large majority of those interested will have ample leisure to study the situation. The recent additions to the General Motors family will present a problem such as to delight the hearts of conscientious brand spotters, but where are they to fit in the scheme of things? Obviously they overlap the price classes of other members of this quality group and old heads engaged in the business of selling cars as well as spotting them will be hard put to it explaining just why one is better than another. Things have gotten so fine that the very difficulty of making a decision even when assisted by the gratuitous advices of well groomed salesmen may prevent the purchase of any car at all.