LABOR GOVERNMENTS

Now that Ramsay MacDonald has accepted the king's invitation to form a cabinet, England will have its first labor government which is not in a minority. Even with only a coalition government the Labor Party showed a few years ago that it was able to do more than sit on the minority bench, and now that it is in a semi-independent position it will undoubtedly be able to put on a much stronger front.

By many of the most dyed in the wool conservatives both here and on the continent, this recent victory of a Socialistic party is looked upon as almost the knell of doomsday for England. To any person with even a mediocre knowledge of the British Labor Party this attitude shows little more than prejudice and ignorance, but none the less it is adhered to with a varying degree of conviction by a large number of Americans to whom the word Socialist is synonymous with anarchy, bolshevism, and bomb throwing. The period through which Mr. MacDonald's government holds office will surely be rude awakening for the members of this school who will have enough interest to follow it through to its close.