THE WOLF IN THE LAMB'S SKIN

Advise, commands, warnings, admonitions, descend regularly every fall on the Freshman class and they will undoubtedly do so as long as people continue to go to college. Between meetings at the Union, and the Phillips Brooks House, conferences with faculty and student advisors, meals and discussions with other bewildered classmates, respectful conversations with upper classmen, the Freshman soon finds out enough to avoid singing up for five pressing contracts, and fills out a study card.

But when all this is over, when glittering generalities on the value of a college education, fight talks from the football coach and captain, ecstacy and despair over triumph and defeat in athletics have faded into a dim haze in the subconscious mind, the class will gradually realize that with the beginning of their Sophomore year they will be a part of one of the most important social experiments ever attempted in American education.

Next year at this time the much heralded Harvard House Plan will be partially in effect, and the class of 1933 will be the first media on which the experiment will be tried in its full force.

At present there is nothing quite so vague as the House Plan. Reduced to its simplest definition it will be an attempt to continue, to a greater or less degree according to how well it works, the conditions under which the Freshmen supposedly live at present. The lack of social life in the upper class dormitories is going to be corrected by the erection of a group of buildings, divided into separate units in which the upper classmen will live. These individual units will have highly organized activities which are being worked out at present by Professors Greenough and Coolidge, who will be in charge of the first two houses which are now under construction. Thus one can easily see that it will be a change from social disorganization to a state of high social organization.

That the experiment will be interesting no one questions. That it will be successful from the point of view of the student is naturally still highly problematical, a full year before it goes into effect. The final form that it will take depends to a large extent on the class of 1933, it will surely be more interesting if the class enters it intelligently interested and not passively acquiescent.