CONTINUED GUIDE HAS CRITICISM OF COURSES

Information Given Out on Various Courses for Upperclassmen--Treats Courses Not Listed Yesterday

The Confidential Guide to College Courses, continued from yesterday, is concluded in this issue of the CRIMSON. This is the fifth consecutive group of student criticisms since the inception of the Guide in 1925, and is the most complete list ever published by the CRIMSON.

Math A or C

The best guide to the undergraduate who contemplates submitting himself to Math A or C is put forth by the University in its Announcement of Courses. The first half is devoted to Analytic Geometry and the second to the Differential Calculus.

This introductory course in mathematics is probably the easiest way of meeting an outstanding distribution requirement. Students gather for this purpose three times a week in nightly seminars, where the daily work, which is the major determinant of the grades in the course, is done to the satisfaction of Oriental section-men. Most of the students not concentrating in the department have a complete file of the corrected problems worked out by less fortunate undergraduates of the previous year.

Mathematics 3

This course is a highly, interesting study of projective geometry, or rather, an advanced analytic geometry studied from the point of view of a generalized algebra and a generalized non-metrical geometry. It touches several distinct mathematical systems, new and interesting, such as the counting by parameters of points and lines in space. Under Professor Graustein the course is an exceedingly good one.

It is to be wished that some time in the course might be spent on the non-Euclidian geometries of Lobachersky and Rieman, which have received so much popular notoriety, and upon a few other modern developments of geometry about which those who have studied some mathematics would like to be able to enlighten their friends.

Mathematics 5a

Mathematics 5a, given by Dr. Brinkmann, is a more or less thorough survey of a number of topics in calculus and analytic geometry, which are not studied in Mathematics 2 and are needed for Mathematics 13. Each topic is very easy at the beginning and very hard at the end of its being taken up. But the topics are interesting though the course as a whole is not easy and its purpose prevents it from being unified. The lectures are interesting and clear; the textbook is patronising.

The daily exercises are unpleasant requirements, but their abolition would probably increase the difficulty of the course. Some substitute method, however, would be very desirable, even the high school method of holding students responsible for explaining any assigned problem on the blackboard, if that were practicable.

Meteorology 1

Stop and ask yourself how much you really know about the weather. Do you know what would justify an official forecast of rain? do you know why the wind blows? have you any idea what a cyclone is or what causes a tornado? It is this type of thing which is hidden behind the more or less baffling heading of "Meteorology" and which in reality is more closely connected with our everyday life than any other science.

Professor Ward answers these questions and a good many more in the manner of the profound scientist that he is. His lectures are models of clear cut precision which cannot help maintaining the interest of his audience from beginning to end. A thorough set of notes is virtually essential inasmuch as there is no up-to-date text book on the subject and the examinations are based entirely on the lectures.

A timely warning to any prospective loafers would not be out of place here. Professor Ward demands precision in his students just as he exercises it himself. With proper attention, however, Meteorology 1 should provide some of the most lasting and interesting knowledge of the whole college course.

Music 1a

It seems necessary that every field of concentration in college must have its elimentary course. Music 1a serves that purpose in music and it is only thanks to Mr. Piston's careful and interesting presentation of the material that it escapes being the frightful bore that German A. French 2, and similar courses are. For anyone who is really interested in music and who is willing to do a little, extra work this course should be skipped.

Music 1b

For one who intends to make a serious study of harmony with a view to learning to compose, Music 1b is adapted, provided one has had a rather thorough grounding in ear training. If not, Music 1a is advised. The study of harmony is not carried so far, but a great deal more emphasis is placed on ear training and development. Both courses offer practice in writing four-part harmony. Neither are advised unless one has a serious interest in music. Even with this interest, the two music courses may prove boring, although 1a is rather more endurable than 1b.

Music 3

It has been rumoured in past years that this course was considered to easy that University Hall sent men to the Music Building to find out whether Professor Hill was even giving lectures. In spite of this reputation the course is one of the best open to students with good grades who wish to fulfill distribution requirements, and at the same time get an excellent survey of music from Palestrina to the present day. Professor Hill is one of the most amusing lectures in the University and deserves special credit for recognizing that most students in the college like to lighten a hard schedule with an easy and interesting course.

Music 3a

There are few courses which the Department of Music offers which are more interesting to the serious student of music than this one. Professor Davison brings to Music 3a an enviable international reputation as well as years of experience in training the best choral groups in this country. No student will regret having spent a year under his stimulating and instructive guidance.

Music 4

The catalogue of courses for the coming year promises that Music 4 is to be given by Mr. Ballantine, and if this