HIGHER STANDARDS

One of the most significant trends in the academic side of college is shown in the figures on the standings of readmitted Freshmen printed in this morning's CRIMSON. These show that of those men who had already had their connections with the University severed due to poor academic standing and were readmitted to the class of 1932 nearly one half finished last year with such unsatisfactory grades as to necessitate either expulsion or a period of probation. Not since 1921 has there been such a bad showing made by readmitted Freshmen. From these facts one can hardly question the wisdom of the Administrative Board in making more stringent readmission regulations, for in fact there was no other course open to them.

On the other hand any steady progression in this policy from year to year might lead to an unfortunate condition which exists at present in many colleges which gives the student who slumps once no chance to try again. Even the most infallible judge in a dean's office must realize that there are times when mistakes in judgment are impossible to avoid, and even when there is no mistake made in closing a student's connection with a college the whole future life of a person may be completely altered by such action. Such a realization has always been shown in University Hall and it is only unfortunate that there are still a number of institutions that consistently refuse to recognize it.