MONUMENT

The dedication ceremonies to be held this morning in Langdell Hall will mark an, important phase in the history of what is perhaps the most widely known of Harvard's graduate schools. Recognition of the part the Harvard Law School has played in the history of the country's legal system is found not only in the tangible shape of Langdell Hall itself, but in the notable gathering there of leaders of the American bar. One can safely say that the newest addition to the Law School is indicitative of something more than the increased facilities which it will bring to the study of law at Harvard.

Important as are the benefits which the school will receive from the model court room, the enlarged library with its immense reading room, and from the relief which new offices and class rooms will give to overcrowding, important as these material gains undoubtedly are, they seem somewhat overshadowed in the realization that is suggested this morning of the increasingly strong influence of the Law School on national life.

To train competent lawyers is, alone, a notable achievement. But the production of young members of the bar is only one of the activities going on over on the other side of the Yard. In such accomplishments as the creation of the Institute of Criminal Law which opens this fall can be seen the importance of the Law School in the general development of the American legal code. The completed Langdell Hall is a symbol of this increasingly distinguished side of the Law School.