TIME OUT

As examinations draw nearer, there comes the usual hectic period of feverish study in the small hours with the aid of large quantities of coffee and cigarettes, and despite ardent, resolutions to the contrary this situation seems to be practically unavoidable. Nor can it be said that the fault lies wholly in the weakness of the resolve.

Classes which are not adaptable to the reading period and there are many such continue up to the last day before examinations, and unfortunately, due to lapses of one kind or another during the term, the assignments tend to increase in these last few days rather than diminish. Then on the first day of the examination period, according to the present schedule, some thirty courses are listed in about a dozen different departments of importance. The first answer to such a situation would seem to be that reviews should be started several weeks sooner; but if humanity were gifted with memories which would co-operate with such a scheme, reviews would not be necessary in the first place.

There would seem to be no justifiable reason for not having some free time between the end of classes and the beginning of the examination period. Even one day would be of considerable assistance to those who are burdened with a number of examinations coming in rapid succession. Either this, or the first day of the period should be reserved for those courses which have the smallest attendance.