THREE MEN IN A TUB

It has always been the policy of Harvard University to impose as little restraint as possible on any activities of the undergraduate other than academic. The policy is an excellent one and undoubtedly works out to the complete satisfaction of students and administration alike in the majority of cases. But it has the inevitable result that a few of the more youthful members of the younger generation, inflamed with a burning desire to create a stir in the world, though not quite mature enough to direct their energies into productive channels, from time to time engage in activities of one kind or another which tend to make John Harvard look a bit silly. For one with so many proteges, this is to be expected and must needs be tolerated, but there is no reason why such activities should arouse any great amount of concern.

The latest manifestation in this field, which has taken the form of a society for the protection of scrubwomen, may or may not be funny, depending largely on the age of the observer and the particular type of humor which he most enjoys. But it is apparent even for those with the most liberal appreciation of a joke, that the effort has received far more publicity than it merits. For some reason, during the entire scrub-women episode the authorities have been in an acute condition of nervous excitement, and now have gone to the trouble of making a statement to the effect that this student society is not to be taken seriously--the only thing which has so far given if the least aspect of seriousness. Such an action, though calculated to be discouraging, is far more likely to prove an added impetus. In all probability, the most effective attitude in such cases is one of blissful ignorance and complete detachment.