In the Graduate Schools

Edward Warren and Scott Clubs Argue Case in Equity

Coincident with the vote of the Corporation for the establishment of the School of City Planning and of the degree of Master in it comes the naming of Professor Henry Vincent Hubbard '97 of the Faculty of Landscape Architecture as the first incumbent of the new Charles D. Norton Chair of Regional Planning. In addition to this, he will direct the School.

Preliminary plans for the location at Harvard of the first School of City Planning ever opened in this country were made public last month. At that time it was announced that a chair had been founded by the gift of J. P. Curtis, of New York City, but that no one had been named for it up to that time. The Rockefeller Foundation was announced as the donor of a sum large enough to enable the opening of the new school.

Is Harvard Graduate

Professor Hubbard, a graduate of Harvard College in 1897, received his A.M. in 1900, and his S.B. in Landscape Architecture in 1901. In the year 1897-98 he was a student at M. I. T., and in 1906 he became instructor in Landscape Architecture. From 1910 to 1921 he was an assistant professor; since 1921 he has been professor.

His work in the field of city planning has been diverse. Since 1920 he has been a member of the firm of Olmsted Brothers, city planners and landscape architects. In 1910 he was one of the founders of the magazine "Landscape Architecture;" now he is one of the editors. He was a founder, in 1925, and chief editor of "City Planning Quarterly."

Held Many War Posts

During the war he held many honorable positions: designer of the Emergency Fleet Corporation, U. S. Shipping Board; expert with housing committee, Council of National Defense; assistant manager and acting chief Town Planning Division, U. S. Bureau of Housing and Transportation.

A member of several architectural and town planning societies, Professor Hubbard has written several publications in his field. His latest volume, "Our Cities Today and Tomorrow," tells the results of a comprehensive field study of city planning and zoning progress in the United States. It was for this purpose that he received a grant from the Harvard Milton Fund for Research.

First School in Country

The degree of Master of City Planning is the first of its kind to be offered by any American University. The new school is an additional unit under the Faculty of Architecture.

Upon learning of the vote of the Corporation, the School of City Planning made public the prescribed curriculum for the students. Many of the courses offered by the school are open to students in the Schools of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, while certain of the courses are required for the degree in all three departments, to insure that the student may have a broad view of the three fields upon graduation.

It is of interest that besides regular city planning courses, the following are listed in the curriculum: in the first year, Fine Arts 1d, History of Mediaeval, Renaissance, and Modern Art; in the second year, Social Ethics 30, housing problems and the social aspects of Town Planning; and in the third year, Government 17a, Municipal Government, and Government 17b, Municipal Administration.