BINGHAM DENIES REPORT OF YALE BOXING MATCH

REQUEST REFERRED TO STUDENT COUNCIL FOR OPINION

Reports that Harvard and Yale would meet in a boxing meet as the climatic event on the Elis schedule this winter were definitely spiked yesterday by W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics.

Boxing is only an intramural sport here at Harvard, and although there has been a move to have the Athletic Association turn it into a minor intercollegiate sport, no action has been taken on the matter as yet. The committee on the Regulations of Athletic Sports at its last meeting listened to petitions of both the boxing and chess teams to recognize their sports.

No action was taken on the chess team's request, but in regard to boxing, the committee referred the petition to the Student Council for its opinion. The reports yesterday were in the nature of an Associated Press Dispatch from New Haven, which read as follows:

"Possibility of Yale meeting Harvard in boxing was seen today in a letter from W. J. Bingham, director of athletics at Harvard, to G. V. V. Wolf, manager of the Yale boxing team, which stated that the Crimson authorities were considering a proposal to make boxing an intercollegiate instead of an intramural sport.

"Should this proposal go through, Yale would like to close its season with a Harvard match on March 22. Yale boxers have met neither Princeton nor Harvard men as these universities have not been on the schedule, but with a change at Harvard there would be the likelihood of an annual meet. Yale will meet Cornell, a new opponent, on March 8 at Ithaca, taking the date which formerly had been Georgetown's."