Langer on Committee of Fellowships and Grants Which Will Spend $200,000 Over Three-Year Period in New Program

W. L. Langer '15, professor of History, and member of the Committee on Grants-in-Aid of the Social Science Research Council, is one of the members of the Committee of Fellowships and Grants which will make awards for the American Council of Learned Societies under its new program. This plan will be carried out over a period of three years, and involves the expenditure of $200,000 in grants and fellowships, to advance research in the humanistic sciences.

Grants ranging from $50 to $2,000 will be made to scholars to assist in the completion of definite pieces of research. This money will be used to defray the cost of materials, photographs, clerical assistance, and travel, and generally to provide means of completing scholarly projects of various kinds.

Scholars Will be Aided

In many cases the Council will cooperate with libraries and universities in financing scholarly undertakings. In awarding these grants, the Council is continuing on a large scale a policy which has been in successful operation for some years.

Of special interest in the projected program is the creation of a number of research fellowships which will be awarded to young scholars in the humanities who have finished their graduate work and desire to do further research in their chosen fields.

Although the Council expects that the holders of these fellowships will make real contributions to the study of the humanities, its purpose is not so much to produce scholarly works as to aid in the training of scholars.

With this in mind, the Council has decided ordinarily to award its fellowships to men not over 35 years of age. Fellows will be appointed for one year on a stipend of $1,800, subject to adjustment in individual cases, with an allowance for necessary travelling expenses.

Both fellowships and grants will cover a wide range of studies, including philosophy, philology, literature, linguistics, art and archaeology, musicology, all branches of Oriental studies, and history. Appointments for research in history will be limited to cultural and intellectual history and allied fields, such as the history of religion, thought, science, learning, and the fine arts, paleography, diplomatic, chronology, etc. Applications will be received until January 15 at the executive offices of the Council, 907 Fifteenth Street, Washington, D. C.

"It is believed that the new fellowships in the humanities will meet a definite need of American scholarship, supplementing the opportunities offered by the National Research Council and the Social Science Research Council in other fields," the announcement declared.

Princeton Professor is Head

R. K. Root, professor of English in Princeton University, heads the Committee on Fellowships and Grants, which will make the awards. Other members of the committee are.

G. L. Hendrickson, professor of Greek and Latin literature in Yale University; Julian Morgenstern, president of the Hebrew Union College, Cincinnati, and professor of Biblical and Semitic languages; Colbert Searles, professor of Romance languages in the University of Minnesota; J. W. Thompson, professor of medieval history in the University of Chicago; Clarence Ward, professor of the history and appreciation of art in Oberlin College.

The Council is composed of delegates from seventeen learned socities, which, with the dates of their foundation, are the following:

American Philosophical Society, 1727; American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1780; American Antiquarian Society, 1812; American Oriental Society, 1842; American Philological Association, 1869; Archaeological Institute of America, 1879; Society of Biblical Literature and Exegsis, 1880; Modern Language Association of America, 1883; American Historical Association, 1884; American Economic Association, 1885; American Philosophical Association, 1900; American Political Science Association, 1904; American Sociological Society, 1905; Bibliographical Society of America, 1907; History of Science Society, 1924; Linguistic Society of America, 1924; Mediaeval Academy of America..1925.

The Council, in turn, is a member of the International Union of Academies, formed just after the War for the promotion of international intercourse in various fields of scholarship.