CRIMSON ELEVEN GOES THROUGH SIGNAL DRILL

TALBOT AND GILDEA DRESS, BUT WILL NOT PLAY SATURDAY

A long signal drill combined with a dummy scrimmage intended to get all the plays to perfection was the fare of the Harvard football squad in its workout yesterday. The session was calm compared with the scrimmage of the day before but Coach Horween's men will get another good workout today when they mix with the Freshmen.

The scrimmage with Coach French's squad will be held in the Stadium and will mark the first play on the Stadium turf this year. Until now all the University practice sessions have been held in the enclosed field to the west of the oval.

Another member was added to the tackle squad yesterday when D.J. Finlayson '33, brother of Murdock Finlayson '32 and a member of the Freshman team last year, lined up with the University outfit. Finalyson had been on probation, but yesterday received notice that the ban had been lifted. He joins Upton, Trafford, Kuehn, Bancroft, and Faxon as substitutes for Richards and Kales at the first team tackle posts.

Besides the long signal drill in which all the players got individual instruction on the plays, yesterday's practice also included the first pass defense drill that the backs have had this year. The linemen had a long session on timing in which Coach Horween used a starter's gun to get the men off with the snap of the ball.

Mays and Ogden were both excused from the workout, but Talbot and Gildea both appeared on the field in uniform. Neither of the latter two will play in the doubleheader on Saturday, however. Only Baldwin and Brinkley and, of course, Cunningham, remain on the injured list, but the first two will both be ready for play Saturday.