ART SOCIETY OPENS THIRD SEASON WITH EXHIBITION

Folk Painting of Three Centuries to be Shown--Harvard and Radcliffe Students Invited

Today the Harvard Society of Contemporary Art opens its third season with a two weeks showing of "Folk Painting of Three Centuries", to be held in its rooms at 1400 Massachusetts Avenue. As in former years, all members of Harvard University and Radcliffe are invited to attend.

The show starting today has been arranged in the spirit of the Tercentenary year, and is composed of paintings created two or three hundred years ago, paintings that in the minds of the Society form a definite link in the chain of development of contemporary art. The paintings shown are unacademic and unrelated to the established schools, having been done by persons who were self taught and hence less bound by strict criterions.

Executed for the most part by ladies in seclusion, school girls, and invalids, who painted the bodies and backgrounds in the winter and sought the heads in the summer months, these paintings are examples of the art that flourished years past in America. No iron stags, cigar store Indians, or decalcomania decorated coaches and engines are represented in this exhibit, but the show does include the more accessible forms of ancient art such as model cartoons for tattooers.