JUSTICE FOR THE LAW

Within two years, at most, all Harvard undergraduates will be adequately housed and will be able to eat together in University dining halls. The Baker millions have provided living quarters and commons as well as recitation buildings for the students of business administration, and the group of buildings on Longwood avenue, known as Vanderbilt Hall, form a separate and self sufficient unit for the Harvard Medical School. Lodging and eating facilities for the law students, however, are in no such ideal state. Even the students of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences with Perkins and Conant to live in are better off than many in the Law School.

Walter Hastings, the only Law dormitory, is sadly out of date and provides for only a neglibible number of students, a large portion of the building being given over to rooms for Law club meetings. The magnificence of the new Langdell Hall makes the other Law buildings seem all the more shoddy by comparison. Such a nationally important institution should have a unified set of buildings centering about the recitation hall and library. Here the heavy schedule imposed by the Law school could at least be made more attractive by alleviated living conditions. Of course to those who can afford to hold forth in apartments with kitchenettes on Chauncy Street, the erection of Law dormitories would be no especial benefit, but to the more impecunious students, who come to Cambridge from distant parts and are forced to live in unattractive rooms and dine in gloomy boarding houses or the ordinary hash slinging cafeteria, such houses would be a godsend. Building sites and money are the difficulties to be overcome. One can only pray for the appearance of some benefactor like Harkness, Baker, and Vanderbilt to provide buildings for the Law School worthy of its importance in the University.