WITH A PRAYER IN MY HEART

The women of Massachusetts have gone back into American history in an attempt to maintain prohibition. Paul Revere once saved the country from the British and his double now rides for the sake of the Baby Volstead Act. But the Women's Christian Temperance Union considers liquor a more formidable foe than the British Army for they have called upon divine supplication to assist their re-vamped Revere.

These women might have turned the pages of history back a little farther than 1775 and read the works of Cotton Mather, an authority on the efficacy of prayer, although a temperate drinker. He pointed out to his parish the inadvisability of being too demanding in one's supplications to the Lord. He cites an instance when a colonial army went into Canada secure behind the prayers of the faithful, who prayed not to conquer the enemy, but merely that their army should not be annihilated by the wiles of the French.

With this hint for moderation the Puritans of the 1930 psuedo-school would do well to follow the wisdom of the Puritans of 1630 and pray that the nation may be brought to right and not to righteousness through the elections.