WORK ACCOMPLISHED THIS FALL BY P.B.H. IS EXPLAINED IN REPORT

ISSUES CALL FOR ADDITIONAL VOLUNTEER WORKERS

The work of the Phillips Brooks House Association started this fall with the opening of the Information Bureau in charge of W. W. Foshay, '31 and W. H. Harris '32. The Bureau answered questions and provided information about furnished rooms to between two and three hundred students a day during the two weeks of its operation.

The next thing on the program of the Association was the reception for the members of the Class of 1934 at which the presidents of the Lampoon, CRIMSON, Advocate, Instrumental Clubs, Glee Clubs and Phillips Brooks House Association spoke and also J. M. Kingman '15. The Law School, Medical, and Dental Schools Committees also held receptions for the students in their respective schools. The Foreign Student Committee entertained 75 foreign students at a reception at which they were addressed by Dean Sperry, of the Divinity School. The Social Service Committee during the past week has been interviewing students interested in doing volunteer work at the settlement houses in Greater Boston, and has also secured about 200 passes for football games at the Stadium for members of boys clubs and scout troops. The speakers Committee has already filled two requests for Harvard students to act as speakers.

Many Textbooks Lent

Approximately 1000 textbooks have been lent to students for the nominal sum of ten cents per book per year. The Library Committee of the Association has also subscribed to a number of periodicals and magazines which will be placed in the Shepard Room at Brooks House. The Handbook Committee supervised the publication and distribution of about 2500 copies of the Harvard Handbook. This booklet was given to all Freshmen and graduate students coming to Harvard for the first time. The Law School Committee loaned approximately 300 case books to law students for $.25 a year per book. The Graduate Schools Committee has started to make arrangements for the annual Sunday afternoon lecture course in religion given each year in Peabody Hall at Brooks House. The Speakers so faresecured include:

Prominent Lecturers

Professor Kirsopp Lake. Dr. Bruce Hopper, Reverend H. F. Ward, Deans Donham and Pound. Dr. R. C. Cabot, and the Reverends Kinsolving and Buchman. The arrangements are being made to open up the Medico-Dental Clinic again this year. This clinic was started last winter at Lincoln House and provides an opportunity for children living in the South End to secure free medical and dental examinations. A number of meetings have already been held at Brooks House and the Instrumental Clubs have been given the use of office space.

Each of the committees of the Association has need of a large number of students to assist in its work. Students interested in taking part in any of the activities of the Association are urged to consult the Graduate Secretary concerning opportunities for work. Any, student organization desiring to secure rooms for meeting places may apply to the secretary at Brooks House.