ELEVEN BEGINS WEEK'S WORK IN INTENSIVE DRILL

RICHARDS DEFINITELY OUT OF PLAY SATURDAY

Darkness, literal and figurative, hung heavily over Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon as a desperate coaching staff, labored far into the night over the University football squad after its disappointing showing in the Saturday tie with William and Mary. With the grim outlook of the strong Michigan invasion only five days away, Coach Horween put out the storm signals with a vengeance.

The net result was the reappearance of Frank Shaughnessy, lateral pass expert, the presence of Jesse Hawley, former Dartmouth coach, on the field in football togs, and a particularly ineffective showing of Team A in scrimmage against the third freshman football team. The phosphorus ball used in the later stages of practice was the only ray of light the whole afternoon.

The main feature of the practice of the Harvard eleven was an intensive drill in football fundamentals. Blocking, tackling and work on the dummies were inordinately stressed. Monday scrimmaging for Team A is almost without precedent.

To add to the general gloom came the announcement that Richards, second-string guard, was definitely out of this Saturday's game. Kuehn, tackle, and Baldwin, end, will probably not face the Middle Westerners. Captain Ticknor and White, though not entering the scrimmage, participated in the closing signal drill.