UNIVERSITY OF UTOPIA

The Utopian university suggested by Robert M. Hutchins, president of Chicago University, as outlined in the accompanying press clipping, contains several ideas worthy of consideration. One major change, outside of proposals for sweeping revision in the whole mechanics of the present day college, is stressed. This provides for emphasis on the humanities, making them a fifth main division of study, along with social sciences, physical sciences, biological sciences, and the rest, included in the term, "college".

In this Utopian university, the faculty would have the added duties of discovering just what higher education is, as well as administering it. And the students, rather than procuring a simple cultural education, would first learn the cultural arts, as exemplified in the four two-year lecture courses; then those who were particularly qualified would specialize in one of the professional schools.

Yet this idealistic plan, even if generally adopted, seems a difficult solution to such evils as business depression. It is generally acknowledged that the study of current human problems is advisable, and that increased attention should be given to the development of leadership and adult education. But it is hard to see why these improvements could be the cure-all for these widespread evils, which are caused by a multitude of contributing factors.